Turks & Caicos: Five Romantic Adventures
Whether you're searching for a little adventure or a romantic getaway the Turks & Caicos could be your ticket to paradise
Getting away with your partner can help refuel your sex life and make you feel more connected because it takes you of out of your daily routines. The best vacations for couples allow plenty of opportunities to de-stress and unwind, as well as offer adventure activities to make your relationship feel more fun. Of course, a paradise setting also makes any vacation sexier.
The Turks and Caicos fit the bill with an average of 350 days of sunshine a year, and 83 degree temperatures. Though the white-sand beaches and almost-hurts-your-eyes bright turquoise water seem a world away, the Turks and Caicos are actually only an hour-and-a-half flight from Miami. It’s a surprisingly easy travel destination with English being the official language, the US dollar being the currency, and Eastern Standard being the time zone.
Made up of 40 islands and cays, this chain sits just below the Bahamas. Most visitors land on the island known as Providenciales or “Provo,” but it’s easy to island hop to more remote spots. Though Provo’s famed 12-mile long beach makes it tempting to master the art of doing nothing, here are five ideas for the ultimate romantic adventure.
1) Live out a deserted island fantasy. If you’ve ever wished that you could transport yourself and your partner to a tropical beach with ocean waves being the only sound track, a company called Big Blue Unlimited can make your dream come true. Order the “Beach Escape” package, and a private boat will drop you off at one of the sandy stretches along the north shore of the Caicos Cays. You won’t be roughing it: They’ll also leave you with an umbrella, table, chairs, picnic lunch, and a bottle of wine. How you spend your time in paradise is up to you, but after about six hours the boat returns to bring you back to reality. Visit BigBlueUnlimited.com for rates.
2) Take the plunge. Adrenaline-pumping activities are also bonding experiences. Diving helped to put these islands on the map as a tourist destination in the 60s, and the oldest dive company is Provo Turtle Divers. Explore the world’s third largest barrier reef that runs along the Turks and Caicos with your partner, and you’ll likely see graceful spotted eagle rays, spindly lobsters, and powerful sharks. If you’re lucky, you might even spot a Humpback whale. The islands sit on a limestone plateau that allows for thrilling wall dives starting at 45 feet and plunging as deep as 7000 feet. Go to provoturtledivers.com to find out how to get PADI certified during your trip, or to discover the best dive spots.
3) Wine and dine her. Provo is not an island with a lot of nightlife options, so it’s best for those wanting quiet romantic dinners in a gorgeous setting. If you’re with a group, opt for the private sunset island barbecue offered at the Ocean Club Resorts. The staff sets up a candle-lit table with tiki torches in the sand on the 12-mile long Grace Bay Beach. Have a Caicos Cooler or stick to beer while the chef grills fresh-caught lobster and quartered chicken over an open flame, and slathers on sweet sauce. If you’d like a table for two, don’t miss the conch fritters at the resort’s Opus Wine Bar and Grill. Ask for a table in the outdoor lounge so you can dine under the trees and feel the ocean breeze. Check out oceanclubresorts.com for restaurant reservations and room rates.
4) Set the mood. If you really want to get your lady in the mood, bring the spa to her with an in-room couples massage. There’s nothing like a rubdown to make her feel sexier. Spa Tropique’s “Double Decadence” option has add-ons such as the “Go Green,” a soothing seaweed mask, or the “Hopsicle,” a facial for men served with a brew. Book treatments at spatropique.com.
5) Explore the surf and sand. The best way to discover the islands’ remote beaches may be to paddle around them. You can try the Snorkel Kayak Adventure offered by Big Blue Unlimited, where you’ll take a boat to the island of North Caicos to kayak around the Wetland Preserve, have a picnic lunch on the beach, and then snorkel around the coral reefs. If you’d rather stay on land, another romantic activity is going for a horseback ride together along the quiet dirt roads leading to the four-mile long, secluded Long Bay Beach. Go to ProvoPonies.com for reservations.
Ski Lodges - Relax at these ultra-luxurious winter destinations