1) Best diet in the world announced.
2) Meditation curbs depression just as well as medication.
A review study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association Internal Medicine has found that practicing mindfulness meditation can help alleviate the symptoms of depression. Through an analysis of 18,000 studies, the review team zeroed in on a set of clinical trials and conducted them on more than 3,500 people. They found that the effectiveness of the meditation technique worked just as well as some medications in relieving depression, anxiety, and pain. [Forbes]
3) Monday was the most depressing day of the year.
Good news, yesterday was probably your worst day of the year. The British company Upbeat browsed more than two million tweets, looking for negative comments. The end of the holidays and the arctic chill of January evidently makes the first Monday back at work one of the worst. Look on the bright side, it only gets better from here on out! [TVNZ]
4) Florida State overcomes Auburn to win BCS Title.
In a nail-biting and bitter brawl, No. 1-ranked Florida State scored 21 fourth-quarter points to overtake second-ranked Auburn 34-31 and win the BCS National Championship. Heisman Trophy winner Jameis Winston, a redshirt freshman quarterback, threw a 2-yard touchdown pass to Kelvin Benjamin with 13 seconds left in the game, sealing the Seminoles' victory in a climax that ironically echoed Auburn's close triumph over Alabama. [NY Times]
- Fit Fix: Science Aims to Curb Binge DrinkingYour daily roundup of health and science news.
- Fit Fix: Are Most Vitamin Investigations Bogus?Your daily roundup of health and science news.