It's time to elevate your drinking style from a six-pack of cans to a collection of bottles you're proud to pour. Don't have at-home mixology down to a science? We'll get you there. Each week, On the Rocks takes a look at a spirit that deserves a spot in your liquor lineup and delivers a cocktail recipe that's sure to impress your friends, family, and the girl who's not afraid to down a stiff drink.
Bourbon is the bread and butter of any amateur bar. Whereas other liquors, like gin or tequila, can be a little intense when served straight up, bourbon whiskey is drinkable as is. This is definitely a perk if you’ve got nothing else on the shelf.
Smooth and smoky with a slightly spicy finish, it can be enjoyed straight, on the rocks, or mixed into an easy cocktail—one that won't require a fancy set of tools.
There’s nothing more manly than brooding over a good glass of bourbon, letting the warmth creep from your belly to your brain. But, if you want to take your drink to the next level, turn your bourbon into a quick and easy cocktail:
- 1 sugar cube
- Angostura bitters
- 2 oz bourbon whiskey
- 1 lemon twist
- 1 orange twist
- 1 brandied or maraschino cherry
- Place sugar cube in a rocks glass and add 3-4 dashes Angostura bitters.
- Muddle cube and bitters until the sugar is dissolved.
- Add bourbon and ice and garnish with lemon twist, orange twist, and cherry. Gently stir.
Bulleit is a great bourbon to start off with, though it's a little pricier than other brands (about $45 for a 750 mL bottle). It's definitely a high-quality whiskey that’s well worth the investment and should last a while. Try it in a Manhattan or an Old-Fashioned.
- Whiskey 101 Get schooled on the manliest of spirits.
- Omission: A Gluten-Free Beer That Tastes Like BeerOmisson brews craft beer that everyone can enjoy.