10. Vernon Davis catches a touchdown after play clock runs out
The first gaffe on this list probably doesn’t standout as overly egregious, but speaks to the replacements refs’ trouble with clock management (or simple acknowledgment that the clock exists) so far this season. In two instances during Week 2, the refs forgot to stop the game clock when a player ran out of bounds and after an incomplete pass. On this particular play, the play clock hits zero just before 49ers quarterback Alex Smith receives the snap and uncorks a touchdown to tight end Vernon Davis, breaking open a scoreless game. Obviously, no delay of game is called, and the suspect six is slapped on the scoreboard.
- Editor Obsession: Shoes We LoveOur editors' picks for the best shoes for the coming season.
- Six Spirits That Will Save Your Holiday SeasonThey're key to any holiday gathering.
- 8 Holiday Cocktails Made with MoonshineMust-try recipes from America's most visited distillery.
- Form CheckThe easy reminders for five basic lifts.