From the legendary fist fight after the first Daytona 500, to Dale Earnhardt Sr.'s fatal crash in 2001, here are NASCAR's most gripping events ever.
9. First Daytona 500 Ends in Photo Finish
Modern technology makes it possible to know who won every race immediately, no matter how close it was. But none of that technology existed in 1959 for the inaugural Daytona 500, which was also the first race at Daytona International Speedway. Johnny Beauchamp and Lee Petty appeared to cross the finish line at the same time to the naked eye, and NASCAR initially gave the win to Beauchamp. However, after spending three days reviewing photographs and film of the finish, they changed their minds. Petty, patriarch of the most dominant racing family in America, won 10 more races and the championship that season.
comments powered by Disqus
- Queen of HalloweenLook back at Heidi Klum's craziest costumes.
- The "Airpocalypse" in PhotosBeijing Marathon runners donned face masks to beat smog.
- Getting to Know Gal GadotThe Israeli actress is in the mix for 'Ben Hur' role.
- Dairy-Free Ways to Get More CalciumTen foods for stronger bones, teeth, and muscles.