From the legendary fist fight after the first Daytona 500, to Dale Earnhardt Sr.'s fatal crash in 2001, here are NASCAR's most gripping events ever.
9. First Daytona 500 Ends in Photo Finish
Modern technology makes it possible to know who won every race immediately, no matter how close it was. But none of that technology existed in 1959 for the inaugural Daytona 500, which was also the first race at Daytona International Speedway. Johnny Beauchamp and Lee Petty appeared to cross the finish line at the same time to the naked eye, and NASCAR initially gave the win to Beauchamp. However, after spending three days reviewing photographs and film of the finish, they changed their minds. Petty, patriarch of the most dominant racing family in America, won 10 more races and the championship that season.
comments powered by Disqus
- Life SaversTen foods to improve heart health.
- Shoe Watch: StrappedAdd some flair to your shoe collection for fall
- Is Your Diet Giving You a Deficiency?If you'd classify your diet as Paleo, vegan or g-free, read this.
- The Essentials: Cook a Decent MealThe no-nonsense list for elevating your kitchen game.