From the legendary fist fight after the first Daytona 500, to Dale Earnhardt Sr.'s fatal crash in 2001, here are NASCAR's most gripping events ever.
8. 1979 Daytona 500 Ends in Fist Fight
The first NASCAR race aired from start to finish on live TV coincided with a massive snowstorm in the Northeast leaving people with nothing to do except watch the Southerners race. And to their credit, the Southerners put on a good show indeed. After a last-lap crash, Cale Yarborough got in a fistfight just off the track with the Allison brothers (Bobby and Donnie). Bobby arrived to give Donnie a ride back to the garage after the crash, at which point Bobby and Yarborough traded insults first and then punches.
comments powered by Disqus
- Editor Obsession: Shoes We LoveOur editors' picks for the best shoes for the coming season.
- Six Spirits That Will Save Your Holiday SeasonThey're key to any holiday gathering.
- 8 Holiday Cocktails Made with MoonshineMust-try recipes from America's most visited distillery.
- Form CheckThe easy reminders for five basic lifts.