From the legendary fist fight after the first Daytona 500, to Dale Earnhardt Sr.'s fatal crash in 2001, here are NASCAR's most gripping events ever.
6. Dale Earnhardt Wins Daytona 500 after 19 Tries
One time, he hit a bird. Another time, he got a flat tire. Luck was definitely not on his side. Earnhardt came so close to winning NASCAR’s biggest race, but he couldn’t seal the deal, leaving a gaping hole on his otherwise sterling resume. When he finally won it in 1998, the most famous post-race celebration in the sport’s history ensued, with members of every team lining up to shake his hand as he drove by.
comments powered by Disqus
- Editor Obsession: Shoes We LoveOur editors' picks for the best shoes for the coming season.
- Six Spirits That Will Save Your Holiday SeasonThey're key to any holiday gathering.
- 8 Holiday Cocktails Made with MoonshineMust-try recipes from America's most visited distillery.
- Form CheckThe easy reminders for five basic lifts.