From the legendary fist fight after the first Daytona 500, to Dale Earnhardt Sr.'s fatal crash in 2001, here are NASCAR's most gripping events ever.
5. NASCAR Crushes Drivers’ Attempts to Unionize
The NFL, MLB, NBA and NHL have all suffered embarrassing labor disagreements in recent years. Not so in NASCAR, because it flattened the two attempts drivers made to unionize. In 1961, Curtis Turner tried to get drivers to affiliate with the Teamsters but NASCAR banned him for life —though that was lifted and he returned in 1965. In 1969, the fledgling Professional Drivers Association boycotted a race at Talladega, which top drivers considered unsafe. When NASCAR held the race anyway, that was essentially the end of any union-like attempt.
comments powered by Disqus
- Five Healthy Snack Recipes for Building MuscleQuick and easy recipes to satisfy your taste buds.
- Life SaversTen foods to improve heart health.
- Shoe Watch: StrappedAdd some flair to your shoe collection for fall
- Is Your Diet Giving You a Deficiency?If you'd classify your diet as Paleo, vegan or g-free, read this.