From the legendary fist fight after the first Daytona 500, to Dale Earnhardt Sr.'s fatal crash in 2001, here are NASCAR's most gripping events ever.
5. NASCAR Crushes Drivers’ Attempts to Unionize
The NFL, MLB, NBA and NHL have all suffered embarrassing labor disagreements in recent years. Not so in NASCAR, because it flattened the two attempts drivers made to unionize. In 1961, Curtis Turner tried to get drivers to affiliate with the Teamsters but NASCAR banned him for life —though that was lifted and he returned in 1965. In 1969, the fledgling Professional Drivers Association boycotted a race at Talladega, which top drivers considered unsafe. When NASCAR held the race anyway, that was essentially the end of any union-like attempt.
comments powered by Disqus
- Six Spirits That Will Save Your Holiday SeasonThey're key to any holiday gathering.
- 8 Holiday Cocktails Made with MoonshineMust-try recipes from America's most visited distillery.
- Form CheckThe easy reminders for five basic lifts.
- Recover Like a ProCheck out these 12 game-changing workout recovery tools.