From the legendary fist fight after the first Daytona 500, to Dale Earnhardt Sr.'s fatal crash in 2001, here are NASCAR's most gripping events ever.
3. Gordon and Johnson vie for Title After Plane Crash
A plane crash four weeks before the end of the 2004 season killed 10 people, including a handful of Hendrick Motorsports employees and their family members. Two Hendrick Motorsports drivers, Jeff Gordon and Jimmie Johnson, were still in contention for the championship at the time of the crash. Each had an unbelievable late surge, despite overwhelming pressure and grief: Johnson won two races and averaged a finish over the final four races of 2.5. Gordon finished in the top three places in the last three races. Both tried for the championship — which, had they won, would have been the most heartwarming win in NASCAR history — but neither got it. Kurt Busch beat them both.
comments powered by Disqus
- The Unique Health Benefits of Eight NutsCrack the health code.
- More Muscle in Less TimeGet in the shape of your life with two workouts of less than an hour a week.
- 21 Things to Add to Your Home GymBuilding a home gym? Pick from these 21 products.
- Fight the Test of TimeEat these anti-aging superfoods to turn back the clock.