1) Get off you rear, sitting less can drastically improve your health.
Recent Kansas State University research shows that even a little extra physical activity can have big benefits for your health. Simply standing more often than you sit could help prevent chronic diseases and improve the quality of your life in the long run. [MNT]
2) Fad blood-type diet is proven to be nonsense.
Researchers from the University of Toronto put the kibosh on a trendy diet (made popular by The New York Times best seller Eat Right for Your type) that claims your blood type should determine what you should eat. "The way an individual responds to any one of these diets has absolutely nothing to do with their blood type and has everything to do with their ability to stick to a sensible vegetarian or low-carbohydrate diet," the senior author of the study, Dr. Ahmed El-Sohemy told the press. [EurekAlert]
3) A cure for genital herpes?
A new drug, pritelivir, might just have the power to finally wipe out the dreaded and common STD. The drug reduced breakouts of lesions to a 1.2% occurrence per day. While many drugs designed to combat genital herpes merely reduce symptoms, there's some hope that with development, priteliver will offer a final and definitive cure for the viral infection. [LiveScience]
4) A new piece in the puzzle of consciousness.
A recent discovery of quantum vibrations in "microtubles" deep within the brain could support a 20-year-old theory of consciousness postulated by math physicist Sir Roger Penrose and anesthesiologist Stuart Hameroff. [ScienceDaily]
- Fit Fix: The Feds Target "Miracle" Weight-Loss CuresPlus more of today's top health and science headlines.
- Ask Men's Fitness: What Is the "Ketogenic Diet"?Where it came from, and whether it's worth a try.