Picked fresh from the garden, tomatoes are bursting with flavor and delicious enough to eat like an apple. And you know how that whole "an apple a day" saying goes, right? Well, a tomato a day might be worth your while too, and here's why:
- One medium tomato provides you with more than a quarter of your vitamin C for a day, and it's also rich in vitamin E and beta-carotene.
- Tomatoes are an excellent natural source of potassium, with 556 milligrams in just one cup of tomato juice, which makes them a tasty way to replenish your electrolytes after a long run or ride.
- Tomatoes are high in lycopene, an antioxidant that reduces inflammation and might decrease your risk of stroke.
- Eating tomatoes can also lower your cholesterol and blood pressure, according to a 2011 study.
So don't sleep on tomatoes any longer—here are five ways to work these antioxidant powerhouses into your diet.
- The Unique Health Benefits of Eight NutsCrack the health code.
- More Muscle in Less TimeGet in the shape of your life with two workouts of less than an hour a week.
- 21 Things to Add to Your Home GymBuilding a home gym? Pick from these 21 products.
- Fight the Test of TimeEat these anti-aging superfoods to turn back the clock.