Picked fresh from the garden, tomatoes are bursting with flavor and delicious enough to eat like an apple. And you know how that whole "an apple a day" saying goes, right? Well, a tomato a day might be worth your while too, and here's why:
- One medium tomato provides you with more than a quarter of your vitamin C for a day, and it's also rich in vitamin E and beta-carotene.
- Tomatoes are an excellent natural source of potassium, with 556 milligrams in just one cup of tomato juice, which makes them a tasty way to replenish your electrolytes after a long run or ride.
- Tomatoes are high in lycopene, an antioxidant that reduces inflammation and might decrease your risk of stroke.
- Eating tomatoes can also lower your cholesterol and blood pressure, according to a 2011 study.
So don't sleep on tomatoes any longer—here are five ways to work these antioxidant powerhouses into your diet.
- 10 Reasons We Love J-LawCheck out why we love the 'Hunger Games' hottie.
- 8 Ways to Stay Healthy This WinterWhat does it really take to build your defenses against the common cold?
- The 5 Toughest Yoga Positions for GuysTackle them to achieve the ultimate in strength and balance.
- Sleep SolutionsFive fixes for your sleepless nights.