White wine pairs deliciously with chicken and green vegetables like asparagus and leeks. You don’t need much, about ½ cup, and with heat and cooking time only 40-percent of the alcohol (and calories) are retained.
Skill level: Beginner
Start to Finish: 1 hour, 5 minutes
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 50 minutes
2 medium leeks, white and light-green parts only, cut crosswise into 1/3-inch rounds
1/4 cup olive oil, divided
2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more
2 teaspoons whole fennel seeds
8 bone-in chicken thighs (about 4 pounds)
1/2 cup dry white wine (such as Epicurious Chardonnay)
1½ cups low-sodium chicken broth
3/4 pound medium asparagus, trimmed, cut crosswise in half and on the bias
2 cups shelled fresh peas (from about 2 pounds pods) or frozen peas, thawed
1 tablespoon plus 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest, divided
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
3 tablespoons chopped dill
1. If you see or feel dirt in the leeks, rinse well, separating layers, then pat dry; otherwise, leave rounds intact.
2. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium-high until hot but not smoking. Add leeks in a single layer; season with 1/4 teaspoon salt and a pinch of pepper. Reduce heat to low and cook, turning once, until leeks are lightly golden, 16–18 minutes. Transfer leeks to a plate; reserve skillet.
3. Lightly crush fennel seeds with the bottom of a heavy skillet or pot. Pat chicken thighs dry with paper towels and season with fennel, 1½ teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Heat remaining 2
tablespoons oil in a 5–7-quart Dutch oven or large wide saucepan over medium-high. Cook thighs, skin side down, until well-browned, 12–14 minutes. Transfer skin side up to a plate. Pour off and discard fat.
4. Add wine to pot, bring to a simmer, and cook, scraping up bits from bottom of pot, 1 minute. Add broth and return chicken skin side up to pot. Lower heat to medium-low, cover pot, and cook until chicken is cooked through, 15–18 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, combine asparagus, peas, and 2 tablespoons water in reserved skillet, cover, and cook over medium heat until asparagus is crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Add 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, and a pinch of pepper; stir gently to just combine.
6. Divide chicken, asparagus mixture, and reserved leeks among large shallow bowls. Bring broth to a simmer, add lemon juice, then ladle into bowls. Top with dill and remaining 1 tablespoon lemon zest.
Nutrition Information (per serving)
Calories: 563; Protein: 69 grams; Total Fat: 26 grams; Carbohydrates: 18 grams; Sugar: 7 grams
Recipe and photo by Epicurious Wine