The celebrity chef shares simple recipes, tips on how to choose quality cuts, and preparation techniques for meat lovers.
Lamb Burger with Arugula, Feta & Cucumbers
A nod to Symon’s Greek heritage, this recipe puts a twist on the classic burger. (serves 10)
- 5 pounds ground lamb (ask your butcher for a mix of two-thirds shoulder and one-third belly)
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds, toasted and ground
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh mint
- Grated zest and juice of 2 lemons
- Kosher salt
- 1 ½ cups crumbled feta
- 10 hamburger buns, split
- 1 English cucumber, sliced
- 2 cups arugula
- Mix the lamb with the coriander, mint, and the lemon zest. Form the meat into 10 patties, making sure you don’t compress the patties too tightly. Try to make the patties slightly wider than the buns, since they’ll shrink a bit when they cook.
- Heat a charcoal or gas grill to medium-high.
- Season the patties liberally with salt and put on the grill. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes per side, depending on your temperature preference.
- When the burgers are almost done, put some feta on each patty to melt while you also toast the buns on the grill.
- Put one burger on each of the bottom buns and top with cucumber, arugula, and a nice squeeze of lemon juice.