Fish and Chips Style Cod
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons whole milk
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons medium- to full-bodied ale
- 1 large egg
- ¼ teaspoon coarse salt
- Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound cod fillet
- ½ cup canola oil, for frying
- Malt vinegar or aged sherry vinegar, for serving
How to Make It
- Put the flour, milk, ale, egg, salt, and pepper in a bowl and whisk them together. Cover the batter with plastic wrap and refrigerate it for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 250 degrees F.
- Rinse the cod gently under cold running water and pat it dry with paper towels. Cut the fillets crosswise into eight ¾- inch-thick pieces.
- Pour the oil into an 8-inch, nonstick pan to a depth of ½ inch and heat over medium to medium-high heat until shimmering, about 2 minutes.
- Dip 4 pieces of cod in the batter letting any excess run off and back into the bowl. Fry the fish pieces until golden, about 1 minute per side. Transfer the fried cod to a baking sheet and place in the over to keep warm. Repeat with the remaining 4 pieces of cod.
- Place two pieces of fish on each of 4 plates and serve with vinegar on the side.
Fat: 17 g
Saturated Fat: 2 g
Trans Fat: 0 g
Total Carbohydrates: 14 g
Dietary Fiber: 0 g
Total Sugars: 1 g
Protein: 24 g
Cholesterol 98 mg
Sodium: 228 mg
- NBA FIT Live Week Healthy Recipes: Marc Forgione's Spicy FrittataA quick and easy morning muscle-builder with a kick.
- A Damn Good Egg White Omelet RecipeLooking for a healthy breakfast? This low-fat recipe from chef Bobby Deen is packed with vegetables and lean protein.