Simple, healthy, and delicious recipes that any guy can make.
Lindsay Brown 1 / 9
Shedding the pounds and building muscle means you have to incorporate more lean protein into your diet. And the easiest way to do this is by loading up on chicken breast. The downside? Chicken breast can be boring and bland.
But before you get chicken breast fatigue, check out these simple and tasty recipes. They are a snap to make and packed with flavor. Once you start rotating these dishes into your meal plan you’ll be dropping the pounds and packing on the muscle in no time.
3 tbs fresh lemon juice 2 tbs olive oil 2 garlic cloves, minced 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts Salt and pepper
1. Place the lemon juice, olive oil, and garlic in a ziploc bag and add the chicken breasts. Seal and flip the bag around a few times to make sure all of the chicken is coated in some of the marinade. Place the bag in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
2. Preheat your grill to high. Remove the chicken from the marinade and salt and pepper both sides. Grill for 4 minutes on one side and then flip and grill for another 3-4 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
Easy Teriyaki Chicken with Homemade Teriyaki Sauce
1/3 cup soy sauce 1/4 cup water 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar 1/4 cup granulated sugar 3 tbsp brown sugar 1/2 tsp garlic powder 1/2 tsp ground ginger 1/2 tbsp cornstarch whisked with 1 tablespoon water 4 small boneless skinless chicken breasts
1. Make the Teriyaki Sauce: Combine soy sauce, water, rice wine vinegar, granulated sugar, brown sugar, garlic powder, ground ginger, and cornstarch and water mixture in a small sauce pan. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. Turn heat down to medium and simmer for 4 to 6 minutes, until sauce is thickened. (It will thicken further as it cools.)
2. In a small bowl or plastic bag, combine chicken and about 3 tablespoons of teriyaki sauce. Toss to coat. Marinate for at least 30 minutes, up to 12 hours.
3. Preheat your oven to 400°F. Line your baking sheet with foil for easy clean up and lightly grease. Remove chicken from the marinade and transfer to baking sheet. Bake for 8 minutes.
4. Pour about 3 tablespoons of sauce into a small bowl and use to baste the chicken thighs. Discard remaining basting sauce.
5. Bake for an additional 3 to 5 minutes before using an instant-read thermometer in the thickest part of the meat. Once the meat reads 165°, pull it from the oven and allow it to rest for at least 5 minutes before slicing.
6. Brush with additional teriyaki sauce if desired. Serve over white rice with steamed broccoli and enjoy!
Recipe Note: If using wooden skewers, soak them in water before using. If using metal skewers, no prep is necessary.
Serves: Makes 5 kebabs
2 boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces 2 medium zucchini, sliced into thick rounds 1 large red onion, cut into 1-inch pieces 2 large lemons 3 cloves garlic, minced 1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme 1 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary ¼ olive oil 1 tsp kosher salt ½ tsp freshly ground pepper
1. Place the chicken pieces in a large Ziploc bag or bowl. Place the zucchini and red onion in a separate Ziploc bag or bowl. Set aside.
2. Zest one of the lemons and place the zest in a medium bowl. Juice both lemons and add to the lemon zest. Add the minced garlic, thyme, rosemary, olive oil, salt and pepper. Whisk the marinade together. Pour half of the marinade into the freezer bag or bowl with the chicken pieces and pour the other half in the freezer bag or bowl with the zucchini and onion. Let marinade for 30 minutes or up to 4 hours in the refrigerator.
3. When ready to grill, make the kebabs. Alternate chicken, zucchini, and onion on skewers. Discard any remaining marinade.
4. Lightly brush the grill with olive oil and preheat to medium heat.
5. Grill chicken kebabs, turning often so each side browns and has light grill marks, about 10-12 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Serve immediately.
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1.5 pounds) ½ cup orange juice (no sugar added preferred) ¼ cup olive oil ¼ cup mustard BBQ sauce (like Sweet Baby Rays Sweet Golden Mustard sauce) 2 tbsp lime juice 1 tsp (about 2 cloves) minced garlic 1 tsp dried cilantro Salt and pepper, as needed
1. Place chicken breasts in gallon-size zippered bag
2. In small bowl or measuring cup whisk together all remaining ingredients
3. Pour marinade over chicken in bag and seal
4. Place in fridge and let marinate at least 2-3 hours or overnight
5. Preheat grill to around 375 - 400 degrees. Spray grates with non-stick spray if desired
6. Remove chicken from marinade and cook for 7-9 minutes on each side or until cooked through. Discard leftover marinade.
3 tbsp olive oil ⅓ cup chicken broth 4 tbsp fresh lemon juice 1 tbsp honey 2 tsp minced garlic 1 tsp Italian seasoning Salt and pepper to taste 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts 5 fresh rosemary leaves for garnish, optional 3 lemon slices for garnish, optional
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper.
2. In a small bowl whisk together olive oil, chicken broth, lemon juice, honey, garlic, Italian seasoning, and salt and pepper.
3. Place the chicken on the prepared baking sheet.
4. Pour sauce over chicken. Bake for about 20-25 minutes. It will depend on the thickness of the breast chicken.
5. Every 5-10 minutes remove the baking sheet from the oven and spoon the sauce from the pan over the chicken. To make sure your chicken is cooked though, use a cooking thermometer to measure the temperature in the thickest part of the breast. It should be between 160-170°F.
6. Before serving, garnish with fresh rosemary and lemon slices
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch chunks Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste 1/2 cup cornstarch 2 large eggs, beaten 1/4 cup vegetable oil
For the sauce:
3/4 light brown sugar 1/3 cup buffalo sauce, like Frank’s Red Hot 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar 1/4 tsp salt 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes, or more, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Lightly oil a 9×13 baking dish or coat with nonstick spray.
2. To make the sauce, whisk together sugar, buffalo sauce, vinegar, salt, red pepper flakes and 1 tablespoon water in a large bowl; set aside.
3. In a large bowl, season chicken with salt and pepper, to taste. Stir in cornstarch and gently toss to combine. Working one at a time, dip the chicken into the eggs.
4. Heat vegetable oil in a large saucepan. Add chicken and cook until golden brown, about 1-2 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate; discard excess oil.
5. Add chicken to prepared baking dish. Top with buffalo sauce mixture. Place into oven and bake until the sauce has thickened, about 45 minutes, turning over every 15 minutes to evenly coat the chicken. Serve immediately.
2 large chicken breasts (boneless, skinless) 1 clove garlic, minced 1½ tbsp chilli powder 1 tbsp cumin 2 tbsp and ¼ cup hot sauce 1 lime (juice & zest) 1 tbsp olive oil Salt and pepper Soft corn tortillas
1 bunch cilantro 1 avocado 1 small white onion, diced 1 small jalapeno, finely diced Hot sauce Lime wedges Radishes, thinly sliced
1. In a resealable bag, combine garlic, chili powder, cumin, lime juice, lime zest, hot sauce, olive oil, salt, and pepper.
2. Add chicken and let marinade for at least 2 hours or overnight in refrigerator.
3. Grill or broil until the internal temperature reaches 170 degrees F.
4. Let chicken rest for 10 min and then use a fork to shred.
5. Warm up the tortillas and prepare all of the toppings.
6. To assemble the tacos, place shredded chicken in a tortilla and top with cilantro, onion, avocado, jalapeno, and hot sauce (or whatever toppings you prefer). Serve with sliced radishes and lime wedges on the side.