This week, Men's Fitness is teaming up with the NBA to celebrate NBA FIT Live Healthy Week. While all-star athletes will be promoting fitness and healthy living in communities around the nation, we're camping out in the kitchen. Each day, we'll deliver a series of low-calorie, muscle-building, athlete-caliber recipes designed by world-class chefs, like Mario Batali, Candice Kumai, Marc Forgione, Bill Telepan, Ali Maffucci, and Roble Ali.
Breakfast Pesto Bacon Zucchini Noodle Frittata with Kale
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Serves: 8” cast iron skillet (4-8 slices)
For the pesto:
- 1.5 packed cups of basil leaves
- 1.5 tbsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp ground salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 3 tbsp pine nuts
- 1/4 cup olive oil
For the frittata:
- 5 pieces of bacon
- 1.5 cups chopped kale
- 2 small zucchinis, spiralized
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 6 eggs, beaten
- cracked pepper to season
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the bacon until medium-crispy. Set aside on a paper towel lined plate, leaving 1 tablespoon of bacon fat in the skillet.
- Add the mushrooms to the skillet and cook for 2 minutes and then add in the kale, zucchini noodles and garlic powder. Cook until the kale wilts mostly.
- Pour the eggs over the noodles, distributing evenly. Top with a generous amount of pepper and let cook for 2 minutes, letting the eggs cook to set on the bottom.
- Place in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until you can stick a knife through the center of the frittata and it comes out clean.
- While the frittata is baking, prepare you pesto sauce: place all of the ingredients in a food processor and pulse until creamy. Taste and adjust seasonings to your liking.
- When the frittata is done, serve immediately with side of the basil pesto. Enjoy!