This week, Men's Fitness is teaming up with the NBA to celebrate NBA FIT Live Healthy Week. While all-star athletes will be promoting fitness and healthy living in communities around the nation, we're camping out in the kitchen. Each day, we'll deliver a series of low-calorie, muscle-building, athlete-caliber recipes designed by world-class chefs, like Mario Batali, Candice Kumai, Marc Forgione, Bill Telepan, Ali Maffucci, and Roble Ali.
Breakfast: Sweet Potato Breakfast Burrito
Refuel naturally with this amino acid and protein-packed meal that's full of fatigue-fighting ingredients, like asparagus, fennel seed, and sweet potatoes. Don’t forget to drink plenty of water, too.
- 1 yam or sweet potato, cut into 1⁄2-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, divided
- 1⁄2 red or yellow onion, chopped
- 1 cup asparagus pieces, cut on the bias
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons fennel seeds
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 whole wheat tortillas
- 1 tablespoon grated Gruyere
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Toss the diced yam with 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt. Roast for 30 minutes, or until the yam is fork-tender.
- Meanwhile, heat a skillet with the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil. Sauté the onion until fragrant, approximately 5 minutes. Add the asparagus and sauté for 2 more minutes.
- Add the eggs, fennel seeds, pepper, and remaining 1⁄2 teaspoon salt to the pan. Cook over medium-low heat until light and fluffy.
- Lay out 1 tortilla and evenly spread half of the egg mixture down the center. Top with the Gruyere and roasted yams. Fold over one side and roll into a burrito shape. Repeat with the remaining tortilla.
Recipe adapted from Cook Yourself Sexy by Candice Kumai
More Recipes from NBA FIT Live Healthy Week:
- Healthy Pasta Sauce Recipe: Guilt-Free Turkey BologneseLooking for a quick and healthy dinner idea? Make this low-fat recipe full of lean protein instead of cracking open a jar of store-bought spaghetti sauce.
- Tonight’s Easy Dinner Idea: Healthy Chicken Kebabs Yet another way to make chicken breast un-boring? Skewer the lean protein with some super food vegetables, cook it up, and call it a meal. Here, the easy recipe.