This week, Men's Fitness is teaming up with the NBA to celebrate NBA FIT Live Healthy Week. While all-star athletes will be promoting fitness and healthy living in communities around the nation, we're camping out in the kitchen. Each day, we'll deliver a series of low-calorie, muscle-building, athlete-caliber recipes designed by world-class chefs, like Mario Batali, Candice Kumai, Marc Forgione, Bill Telepan, Ali Maffucci, and Roble Ali.
Teriyaki Zucchini Fried Noodles with Shrimp, Peppers, Onions & Broccoli
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
- olive oil cooking spray
- 3/4 cup broccoli florets (about 5)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 tsp sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp freshly minced ginger
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 red onion, sliced lengthwise into 1/2-inch thick “strips” (fajita-style)
- 1 small red bell pepper, sliced into 1/2-inch thick “strips” (fajita-style)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 tsp (or one small pinch) of red pepper flakes
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tsp rice vinegar
- 3-4 jump shrimp, defrosted, peeled and deveined
- 1.5 medium zucchini, spiralized
- 1/4 tsp white sesame seeds
- Place a large skillet (or wok) over medium heat and coat lightly with cooking spray. Add in the broccoli and cook for about 3-4 minutes, tossing frequently.
- While the broccoli is cooking, place a small skillet over medium-low heat. Once the pan heats, add in the egg and scramble. Set aside. Add in garlic, red onion, red bell pepper, ginger and 2 tsp of the sesame oil. Cook for about 2 minutes or until bell pepper begins to soften. Season all the vegetables with salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Toss to combine. While the mixture is cooking, combine the soy sauce, last tsp of sesame oil, rice vinegar and honey in a bowl and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Add the shrimp to the skillet and let cook for 2 minutes, flip over, and add in the soy sauce mixture, zucchini noodles and scrambled egg. Toss to combine and stir frequently for about 2 minutes, or until the shrimp are cooked through and the zucchini noodles have softened and absorb teriyaki sauce.
- Pour out the stir fry mixture into a bowl or plate and top with white sesame seeds. Enjoy!