Jumping on the veggie-burger bandwagon sounds like a great idea—skipping beef lets you cut back on calories and fat, and relieves boredom when you’re firing up the grill for the sixth weekend in a row. Problem is, when you’re craving a burger, you want something you can really sink your teeth into (no offense, black beans). Enter portobello burgers. With their meaty taste and texture—minus the saturated fat and cholesterol that come standard with traditional burgers—the hearty ’shrooms offer the best of both worlds.
Ready to give these bad boys a shot? Soak portobello caps in our gingery marinade to amp up the flavor before tossing them on the grill. Then serve ’em up on whole-grain buns or on top of brown rice and greens.
GINGER-MARINATED GRILLED PORTOBELLO MUSHROOMS
- 4 large portobello mushrooms
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- 2 tbsp fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- Clean mushrooms with a damp cloth and remove their stems. Place in a glass dish, gill (stemless) side up.
- Prepare the marinade: In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, pineapple juice, and ginger. Drizzle the marinade over the mushrooms. Cover and let marinate in the refrigerator for about 1 hour, turning mushrooms once.
- Prepare a hot fire in a charcoal grill or turn on a gas grill or broiler. Away from the heat source, lightly coat the grill rack or broiler pan with cooking spray. Position thecooking rack 4–6 inches from the heat source.
- Grill or broil the mushrooms on medium heat, turning often, until tender (about 5 minutes on each side). Baste with marinade to keep from drying out. Using tongs, transfer the mushrooms to a serving platter. Garnish with basil and serve immediately.
Recipe courtesy of Guiding Stars nutrition guidance program
- Rocco DiSpirito’s Leaner Sausage and PeppersThe celeb chef somehow slashed a whopping 58 grams of fat from the traditional Italian dish—without sacrificing taste. Make it tonight and see for yourself.
- Bobby Deen’s Protein-Packed Pork TenderloinHungry for a hearty dinner? Skip the skinless chicken breasts tonight and try this equally lean and protein-packed recipe.