Spicy Beef and Wild Mushroom
Try this healthy and delicious stew from celeb chef Gino D'Acampo, author of The Italian Diet: 100 Healthy Italian Recipes to Help You Lose Weight and Love Food
Ingredients serves 4
- 1 14-oz lean rump roast, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tbsp flour
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 7 oz baby onions
- 2 oz pancetta, diced
- 6 oz mixed wild mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups beef stock
- 3 rosemary sprigs
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
- Place the cubed the beef in a large bowl and dust with flour
- Heat the oil in a large oven-safe pot or Dutch oven and gently fry the beef for 2 to 3 minutes, until browned all over. Work in batches, if necessary. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the onions and pancetta to the pot and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the mushrooms, garlic, and carrot and continue to cook for another 5 minutes. Pour in the wine and bring to a boil.
- Return the beef to the pot, stir in the tomato paste, and gently mix together well. Pour in the stock a little at a time, stirring as you do so, to create a sauce. Bring to a boil.
- Toss in the rosemary and the bay leaf on top of the stew, cover the pot, and transfer to the middle of the oven to let bake for 25 minutes. Remove the lid for the last 5 minutes to allow the sauce to thicken slightly.
- Before serving, season with salt and pepper and allow the stew to rest out of the oven for 10 minutes.
Nutritional Breakdown Calories: 315 Protein: 30 g Carbs: 12 g Fat: 16 g Fiber: 1 g Make it Your Way Stews are a perfect way to flex your culinary creativity. Instead of the rump roast, try a lean cut of lamb. You can swap turkey bacon for the pancetta or use chicken or vegetable stock in place of the beef stock. Dump in more of the vegetables you love; skip the ones you hate. Whichever route you take, the stew should be delicious.