Valentine’s Day may or may not be your thing. Regardless, surprise your girl with breakfast in bed. Whether or not she’s the flowery type, a girl’s gotta eat. And trust me, this recipe will impress your Valentine any day of the year.
Scrambled eggs with potatoes, scallions, and cheddar cheese are not only tasty and filling, this dish is also a great way to kickstart a busy day. Eggs are high in protein and low in carbs, and depending on how you prepare them, you can make adjustments in nutritional value. Feel free to use more egg whites than yolks to cut back on calories.
Another reason why I like this recipe is that it’s so simple. All you need are a handful of ingredients and just one pan. To save some time in the morning, you can even prep the potatoes and scallions the day before. See tips below.
Scrambled Eggs with Potatoes, Scallions and Cheddar
1 Idaho potato
2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
¼ cup aged cheddar
Salt and pepper to taste
1) Place the potato in a pot with lightly salted cold water. Bring to a boil, turn down flame to medium and simmer until “al dente” (you can test with a knife), about 20-25 minutes. Run potato under cold water until it cools, then peel. Cut potato into 1/2–inch dice.
2) Preheat a large pan on very low heat for about 10 minutes (see tip below). Add olive oil, raise heat to medium, then add potatoes. Cook until a golden brown, about 7-10 minutes.
3) Add scallions and cook for about 1 minute, stirring frequently.
4) Add eggs and cook for about a minute, stirring constantly with a spatula.
5) Add cheese and cook to desired doneness. (I like the eggs soft, but my wife likes them dry. So depending on how you each like your eggs, feel free to pull out one half sooner than the other.)
6) Add a pinch of salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!
-If you preheat the pan on a low heat for 10 minutes before cooking, there is a less likely chance the eggs will stick.
-You can microwave the potato, but dice it first. Then place in a microwave-safe bowl with a teaspoon of water and some salt. Cover in plastic wrap and cook for 4 minutes. The bowl will be very hot and the steam will also be hot, so be careful when removing it from the microwave.