The Perfect Breakfast Sandwich Recipe
Looking for a new breakfast recipe? Try our favorite healthy breakfast sandwich
MF Editors Recommend
We know it's difficult to get up in the morning, but with this breakfast sandwich recipe, you won't have any trouble getting out of bed. Step up your game in the morning with this twist on the classic breakfast sandwich. We've made this breakfast staple healthy without taking out any of the delicious flavor.
- 2 slices Canadian bacon
- 1/2 red or green bell pepper, sliced and seeded
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup no-salt-added, low-fat cottage cheese
- 1/4 cup spinach (raw or cooked)
- 1/2 7-inch whole-wheat pita
- 1/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheese
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp salsa
- Cook bacon in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Set aside.
- Place peppers in the skillet and saute lightly.
- While they cook, beat eggs in a small bowl with a fork.
- Add eggs to pan and scramble. When eggs are nearly cooked, add cottage cheese to pan and continue cooking until done.
- Layer bacon, egg mixture, and spinach inside pita pocket. Top with cheese, salt, pepper, and salsa to taste.
How’s it compare?
Ours has 50 fewer calories and twice the protein and the fiber of one McDonald’s. It also has 90 fewer calories, four times the fiber, and half the fat of a Burger King Double Croissan’Wich with Sausage, Bacon, and Cheese.