Frozen margaritas and tequila shots with salt and lime—bor-ing. Not really, but these drinks are everywhere on Cinco de Mayo. If you want to wow your friends on May 5—and maybe torture their taste buds a little—then you’ll need some seriously kicked up cocktail recipes. What we have in mind: drinks that take on heat from ingredients like hot sauce, jalapenos, and habanero chilies. From a spicy, bacon-infused Bloody Mary to a Tabasco-beer blend, these takes on the classics will add fire to your weekend fiesta.
- Tajin seasoning
- 2 limes, juiced
- ½ cup Clamato
- Dash Maggi
- Dash Tabasco
- 1 12-ounce amber beer of choice
- Celery stalk (optional)
- Moisten rim of glass with a lime and coat with Tajin seasoning.
- Add ice, lime juice, Clamato, Maggi, Tabasco, and beer. Garnish with a celery stalk. Enjoy before the ice melts.
Recipe courtesy of Veronica Gonzalez-Smith, co-author of Muy Bueno: Three Generations of Authentic Mexican Flavor and the recipe blog muybuenocookbook.com. Photo: Veronica Gonzalez-Smith.
- Overnight Expert: How to Shop for LingerieLingerie is probably one of your favorite Valentine's Day gifts (for obvious reasons), but before you get to rip it off her, learn how to get her something she will want to actually put on.
- Behind the Bar: All About BourbonLearn about the history of bourbon, plus how to purchase and enjoy the classic American spirit.