Frozen margaritas and tequila shots with salt and lime—bor-ing. Not really, but these drinks are everywhere on Cinco de Mayo. If you want to wow your friends on May 5—and maybe torture their taste buds a little—then you’ll need some seriously kicked up cocktail recipes. What we have in mind: drinks that take on heat from ingredients like hot sauce, jalapenos, and habanero chilies. From a spicy, bacon-infused Bloody Mary to a Tabasco-beer blend, these takes on the classics will add fire to your weekend fiesta.
- Tajin seasoning
- 2 limes, juiced
- ½ cup Clamato
- Dash Maggi
- Dash Tabasco
- 1 12-ounce amber beer of choice
- Celery stalk (optional)
- Moisten rim of glass with a lime and coat with Tajin seasoning.
- Add ice, lime juice, Clamato, Maggi, Tabasco, and beer. Garnish with a celery stalk. Enjoy before the ice melts.
Recipe courtesy of Veronica Gonzalez-Smith, co-author of Muy Bueno: Three Generations of Authentic Mexican Flavor and the recipe blog muybuenocookbook.com. Photo: Veronica Gonzalez-Smith.
- Study: Diet Mixers May Make You DrunkerOpting for low-calorie cocktails at the bar? Mixed drinks made with diet soda raise breath alcohol concentration higher than sugar-sweetened cocktails.
- Behind the Bar: All About BourbonLearn about the history of bourbon, plus how to purchase and enjoy the classic American spirit.