This zippy cocktail sauce doesn’t contain any sugar, unlike most bottled brands available in the supermarket. Serve it up with either boiled or grilled shrimp, although we suggest you go with the grill if you can—it adds a rich layer of flavor to this timeless appetizer.
- 1 cup canned no-salt-added fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 tbsp horseradish
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1/4 tsp chipotle puree or chili flakes
- 16 jumbo shrimp (about 1 lb.), peeled and deveined, then boiled or grilled
Instructions: Combine all the ingredients in a blender or food processor and puree until smooth. Transfer the sauce to a jar and chill for at least 30 minutes before using to let the flavors meld. The sauce will keep in the refrigerator for about 1 month. Spoon 1/4 cup of cocktail sauce into each of 4 decorative glasses. Top with 4 shrimp per glass. Sprinkle with the parsley and garnish with the lemon wedges or slices.
Fit Factor: 150 calories, 5g fat, 340 mg sodium, 2g total carbohydrates, 23 g protein per serving
Recipe reprinted from Flavor First by Cheryl Forberg (Rodale, 2011)
- 11 Intimidating Foods and How to Prepare ThemDon’t let these dishes deter you. Learn to cook like a chef, from a chef.
- 20 Best Forearm ExercisesPump up your forearms with these 20 moves.
- The Unique Health Benefits of Eight NutsCrack the health code.
- The Core MovesEvery ab exercise from The 21-Day Shred.