Here’s your grilling game plan: Keep the meat lean, the buns optional—then add a kick with these healthy toppings and condiments.
6. Tomato Ginger Ketchup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, cut into ¼-inch dice
- ½ cup minced fresh ginger (from a 4- to 5-inch piece)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp tamarind paste, dissolved in ½ cup red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) whole tomatoes, roughly chopped, with juice
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
- In a heavy-bottomed sauté pan, heat the oil over medium high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally until softened, about 5 minutes. Turn the heat to low and add the ginger and garlic. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until the onion is soft and transparent, about 15 minutes.
- Turn the heat to medium high and add the vinegar-tamarind mixture and the sugar. Cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes, until the mixture is slightly thickened. Add the tomatoes, turn the heat to low, and simmer for 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Yield: Approximately 2 cups
comments powered by Disqus
- 21 Things to Add to Your Home GymBuilding a home gym? Pick from these 21 products.
- Fight the Test of TimeEat these anti-aging superfoods to turn back the clock.
- 6 Substitutions That Will Clean Up Your Grocery ListClean substitutions to make at the market.
- 13 Grooming Essentials for MenPower products to improve your skin.