As the son of Southern kitchen queen Paula Deen, you better bet Bobby Deen grew up on down-home cooking—but after he turned 30, he decided to make some changes.
Bobby began lifting and practicing jujitsu, and he also started putting healthy spins on some of his favorite family dishes. This recipe for Egg White Omelets with Spinach and Tomato, courtesy of The Deen Bros. Y’All Come Eat, is easy, energizing, and pretty damn filling. Try it and see for yourself.
• 4 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
• 1 small onion, finely chopped
• 1 10-oz. package frozen chopped spinach, thawed (with all excess water squeezed out)
• 4 plum tomatoes, finely chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
• Freshly ground black pepper
• 12 egg whites
• 2 tbsp. water
• Nonstick cooking spray
1. In small skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add the onion and a pinch salt; cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until onion is softened.
2. Add the spinach; cook and stir until hot.
3. Add the tomatoes, pepper to taste, and another pinch salt; cook and stir for 1 minute. Remove from heat; cover and keep warm.
4. In a medium bowl, whisk the egg whites, water, and a pinch salt until frothy.
5. Lightly coat a medium nonstick skillet or omelet pan with cooking spray; heat skillet over medium heat. Add one-fourth of the egg whites, swirling to evenly cover the bottom of the pan. Cook for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes or until set, using a rubber scraper to lift eggs up occasionally, letting runny egg flow underneath.
6. Spoon one-fourth of the spinach mixture onto half of omelet, fold over, and slide onto a plate. Repeat with remaining egg whites and spinach mixture.
Fit Factor: This healthy, protein-packed breakfast recipe is low in fat—and loaded with iron and lycopene.
- 4 Flavor-Packed Lower Carb Meals and SnacksChef Tom Valenti releases a seriously healthy cookbook full of recipes created for diabetics (and guys who just want to keep carbs and sugar in check).
- NBA FIT Live Healthy Week: Steel-Cut Oats with Greek Yogurt, Apples, and CranberriesStart your day with this nutrient-packed bowl of oats from chef Roble Ali.