A Five-Star Frittata from Master Chef Jonathan Waxman
The acclaimed chef-owner of New York City's Barbuto serves up a healthy frittata.
If you're a foodie—or a fan of Top Chef Masters on Bravo—you know all about Jonathan Waxman. The culinary pioneer is a best-selling author and chef-owner of Manhattan's bold Italian restaurant Barbuto. We recently caught up with Waxman at the 2013 New York City Wine & Food Festival, where he served up Shaved Autumn Vegetable salad at the Greenmarket Brunch (a new farm-to-table event at the festival). Waxman's showcase of local, seasonal ingredients is on full display in this healthy brunch recipe.
Kale, Butternut Squash & Roasted Tomato Frittata on Wilted Kale & Radicchio Salad
- 1 butternut squash
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, reserved
- 2 Roma tomatoes
- 1 bunch of kale (washed, dried, and chopped—yields two cups)
- 3 eggs
- 1 small onion (peeled and sliced)
- 1 clove garlic (peeled and crushed)
- 1 radicchio (cored and thinly sliced)
- 1 tbsp toasted hazelnuts or almonds
- 1 Meyer lemon, juiced (yields 2 tbsp)
- Cut squash in half. Place on a baking sheet, rub with oil and roast for 45 minutes at 375. During the last 12 minutes of roasting, add tomatoes sprinkled with 1 tsp of olive oil and a pinch of sea salt. Remove the squash and tomatoes and let cool.
- Scoop out 3/4 cup of squash.
- Break eggs into a bowl and whisk gently, then add the squash and the tomatoes (with tomato liquid). Season and mix gently until incorporated.
- Heat a heavy duty, nonstick saute pan over medium heat. Add 1 tbsp of olive oil to coat the pan. Add the onion and garlic. Cook for 3 minutes, then add 1 cup of chopped kale. Cook for two minutes. Add 1 tbsp of olive oil and then the egg mixture.
- Gently shake pan to evenly coat the pan, cover with a lid and cook for 4 minutes, then turn off heat.
- In a bowl, toss 1 cup of chopped kale and the radicchio. Add the lemon juice, 1 tbsp of olive oil, and a pinch of salt. Crush the ingredients with your hands and place on oval platter.
- Use a spatula to loosen the frittata and lay it upside down over the kale salad. Use a knife to create 4 portions.
- Serve hot or room temperature