Chicken salad can often be a girly affair—lots of tarragon and dainty crust-less sandwiches. But chef Emeril Lagasse serves up this mind-blowing curried version in his new book, Emeril’s Kicked-Up Sandwiches: Stacked with Flavor, and it’s truly next-level.
Don’t be put off by the long list of ingredients—the recipe makes a ton (enough for eight sandwiches) and comes together quickly. And the crunchy sandwich, loaded with raisins, currants, celery, spinach and chutney, will keep you satisfied long past lunch.
CURRIED CHICKEN SALAD ON PUMPERNICKEL
- 2-¼ pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2-½ cups low-sodium chicken broth
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 5 sprigs fresh cilantro, plus 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- 1-½ tsp salt, plus more for seasoning
- 4 green onions (2 smashed and 2 finely chopped)
- 2 ribs celery, finely chopped
- 1 cup mayonnaise, homemade or store-bought
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ¼ cup golden raisins
- 2 tbsp dried currants
- 16 slices dark pumpernickel bread
- 1 cup Major Grey’s Chutney, or to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, for seasoning
- 3 ounces baby spinach leaves, rinsed and spun dry
- Combine chicken, stock, wine, cilantro sprigs, 2 tbsp lemon juice, garlic, peppercorns, 1 tsp salt, and smashed green onions in medium saucepan and bring to gentle boil. Reduce heat to bare simmer and cook for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and allow chicken to cool in poaching liquid for 45 minutes. Then remove chicken from liquid and set aside until completely cool.
- Dice chicken. In large bowl, combine chicken, chopped cilantro, remaining 2 tbsp lemon juice, remaining ½ tsp salt, chopped green onions, celery, mayonnaise, curry powder, cayenne, golden raisins, and currants; stir to blend well. Taste, and adjust seasoning, if necessary. Chill chicken salad, covered, for at least 2 hours (and up to several days) in advance.
- To assemble: Spread one side of each piece of bread with about 1 tbsp of chutney. Divide chicken salad among 8 slices. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Divide spinach among the sandwiches, and top with the remaining 8 slices of bread. Halve sandwiches and serve immediately, or wrap in plastic wrap to store overnight.
Recipe Source and Photo Credit: Recipe by Emeril Lagasse, from Kicked-Up Sandwiches: Stacked with Flavor, HarperCollins Publishers,New York, 2012, courtesy Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia, Inc.
- Healthy Recipe: Not-Your-Average Sweet Potato FriesThese oven-baked fries are low in fat and packed with Vitamin A—not to mention unbelievably crispy. How? Here, a Michelin-starred chef shares his secret.
- Post-Workout Snack Idea: Corfu Savory YogurtTake that protein-rich Greek yogurt up a notch. How? By adding savory super-food ingredients that pack fiber, folate, and healthy fats.