One secret weapon that Cooking Channel host Bobby Deen discovered while recently shedding 33 pounds: pork tenderloin. Packed with flavor, this lean cut of white meat has just about the same amount of calories as skinless chicken breasts, which is why it’s now a staple in his kitchen.
Here's one particular preparation he loves, featuring a juicy apple-onion mixture spooned on top. Like every other recipe in Deen's new book, From Mama’s Table to Mine, this dish is under 350 calories (242 calories and 7 grams of fat, to be exact)—and impressive enough to serve to your girlfriend.
PORK TENDERLOIN WITH APPLES
- 2 pork tenderloins (1 lb each), patted dry
- 5 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1½ cups thinly sliced Vidalia or other sweet onions
- 3 cups cored and thinly sliced Granny Smith apples
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh sage
- 3 tbsp apple juice
- Spicy brown mustard, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 475°F.
- Heat a large skillet over high heat. Coat the pork with 2 teaspoons of the oil and season it with salt and pepper. Add the pork to the skillet and brown on all sides. Place the pork on an ungreased rimmed baking sheet and roast until the meat is 155° F on an instant-read thermometer, about 15 minutes. Let the meat rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
- Meanwhile, return the skillet to medium heat and add the remaining 3 teaspoons oil. Stir in the onions and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the apples and a pinch of salt. Cook until soft and tender, 5 to 8 minutes. Stir in the sage, then pour in the apple juice and cook until it evaporates. Spoon the apple-onion mixture over the sliced pork and serve with spicy brown mustard.
- Recipe: Ginger-Marinated Grilled Portobello MushroomsTake a break from beef and grill an equally meaty portobello mushroom burger. Start with this sweet and tangy version, made with a simple marinade of ginger, pineapple, and balsamic vinegar.
- 53 Must-Follow Twitter AccountsLooking for savvy tweets from the biggest names in exercise and nutrition? Look no further than this group of fitness industry influencers.