FLAX SEED WAFFLES WITH SAUSAGE
Makes: 3 waffles and 3 sausage patties
1/2 tbsp flaxseeds
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/8 cup whole-wheat flour
1 tbsp wheat germ
1/2 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup fat-free milk
1/4 cup whisked eggs (about 11⁄2 eggs)
1/2 tbsp canola oil
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp Celtic sea salt
1/4 tsp sage
1/4 tsp thyme
1/4 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp black pepper
Dash cayenne pepper
1/2 lb ground pork
TO PREPARE WAFFLES
1) Place flaxseeds in a coffee grinder or blender and process until ground. Set the flaxseed meal aside.
2) Spoon both flours into measuring cups and level. Combine the flaxseed meal, flours, wheat germ, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the center of the mixture.
3) In another bowl, combine milk, eggs, oil, and vanilla, and then add to flour mixture, stirring until moist.
4) Coat a waffle iron with cooking spray; preheat. Spoon 1/5-cup of batter per 4-inch waffle onto the hot iron, spreading batter to edges. Cook 6 minutes or until steaming stops. Repeat with remaining batter.
5) Serve waffles with sugar-free syrup.
TO PREPARE SAUSAGES
1) Mix spices in a small bowl and then mix into the pork with your hands. Form 3 patties.
2) Place a skillet over medium heat. When hot, add the pork and pan-fry 3–4 minutes per side or until no longer pink in the center.
774 calories, 77g protein, 56g carbs, 25g fat
5 Muscle-Building Breakfasts >>>