Greek yogurt is a powerful protein source, sure. But if you’re sick-to-death of tossing it into shakes or snacking on it straight, what good does it even do?
That’s why we were totally game to try out this little recipe from GRK Fresh in New York City, which flipped our flavor-related stereotypes forever.
Turns out, savory yogurt toppings are traditional in Greece, and this particular snack mixes a few sweet fruits, like figs and apples, with salty-esque super foods, like green lentils and olive oil.
Sound crazy? We know. But it works. And bonus: those extra ingredients pack in a good dose of fiber, folate, and healthy fats.
- 1 cup Greek yogurt (0% or 2%)
- 2 fresh figs (may substitute for dried figs), quartered
- ¼ Granny Smith apple, julienned
- 1 basil leaf, chiffonade
- ½ cup prepared lentils (see recipe below, or use canned version for convenience—rinse first to remove sodium)
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt to taste
- Place 1 cup Greek yogurt in a shallow bowl.
- Top with figs, apples, basil, and lentils.
- Finish with by drizzling with extra virgin olive oil and sprinkling with sea salt.
LENTILS PREP (OPTIONAL)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ½ small white onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup dried organic green lentils
- 4 cups water
- 2 vegetable bouillon cubes (may substitute for chicken)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Rinse the lentils under running water and examine to make sure they’re clean of dirt.
- In a large saucepan, sweat garlic and onion in olive oil until translucent. Add bay leaf, lentils and water and bring to a boil. Add bouillon cubes and turn heat to low; tilt cover and allow lentils to simmer until tender, approximately 30-45 minutes.
- Stir in sea salt and remove from heat. Allow to fully cool before preparing the yogurt. Makes 4 1/2 cup servings.
- Try This Protein-Rich Lentil Salad RecipeIt's a vegetarian-friendly dish that's also packed with fiber, folate, and healthy fat—making it a great super-food side or a perfectly filling meal on its own.
- Brogurt: A Greek Yogurt Just for GuysA new product called Powerful Yogurt just hit your grocery store’s dairy case. How does the super-manly snack stack up against what’s already out there?