Dish Up: Healthy Meals You Can Make at Home
Your body, career, and goals have all advanced—so should your diet. Improve your culinary skills with this gourmet but healthy meal plan.
MF Editors Recommend
In the same way that your aspirations in life (and the gym) evolve with every goal you reach, so should your aspirations in the kitchen. A healthy, functional diet doesn’t have to be bland and predictable. Basic meals are obviously the easiest to prepare—and vital to staying on track—but you need a few slightly more advanced meals at the ready when the occasion calls for it. Whether you’re attending a potluck or trying to impress your significant other, this month’s meals are so good you might forget just how good they are for you.
- 2 eggs
- 3 egg whites
- 2/3 cup low-fat milk
- 2 tbsp cayenne pepper
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 cup bell peppers, sliced
- ½ red onion
- 2 tbsp scallions
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl.
- Oil a skillet and pour in egg mixture.
- Cook in oven until lightly browned on top, about 30 minutes, then serve.
The Numbers: 581 Calories; 31g Protein; 30g Carb; 41g Fat; 7g Fiber.
Total Time: 37 minutes.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Swirl Parfait
- 1 scoop chocolate whey protein powder
- 8 oz low-fat, plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp natural peanut butter cup oatmeal
- In a small bowl, stir protein powder into yogurt until thoroughly combined.
- In a tall glass, layer peanut butter, oatmeal, then yogurt, and serve.
The Numbers: 583 Calories; 33g Protein; 69g Carb; 21g Fat; 5 Fiber.
Total Time: 5 minutes.
Salmon Eggs Benedict
- 2 slices whole-wheat bread
- 4 oz smoked salmon
- 2 tbsp red onion, diced
- 2 eggs
- Toast bread, then top each slice with salmon and onion.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Crack in two eggs and allow to cook for 3 minutes.
- Remove eggs from water, add to toast, and add seasoning if desired.
The Numbers: 405 Calories; 39g Protein; 26g Carb; 16g Fat; 4g Fiber.
Total Time: 15 minutes.