With a 1-year-old son, Men’s Fitness contributor Curtis Stone knows the realities of getting a healthy dinner on the table after work, and he’s full of brilliant ideas for dishes, like this recipe for Barbeque Chicken Quesadillas. The genius part: They’re a great way to use up that leftover rotisserie chicken in the fridge, and they’re easy to make on an afternoon like this when (let’s be honest) you’re craving something a little cheesy but don’t want to go for full-blown, workout-reversing greasy spoon fare.
The chef adds cilantro and jalapeño to his quesadillas for freshness and zing, but don’t be afraid to make this recipe your own—substituting whole-wheat or low-carb tortillas to fit your nutritional needs or using less sauce or seasonings to suit your tastes. Start now, and you’ll have lunch on the table in 15 minutes—tops.
- 4 10-inch-diameter flour tortillas
- 2 cups (about 8 ounces) coarsely shredded roasted chicken
- 2 cups (about 6 ounces) grated Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 jalapeño, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup barbeque sauce
- Preheat oven to 250˚F.
- Arrange tortillas on work surface. Divide chicken, cheese, cilantro, and jalapeno among tortillas, scattering ingredients over half of each tortilla.
- Sprinkle with salt and drizzle tablespoon of barbecue sauce over each.
- Fold uncovered half of each tortilla over filling to form a half moon shape.
- Heat large flat griddle pan over medium heat.
- Place 2 quesadillas on the griddle.
- Cook for about 3 minutes on each side, or until tortillas are crisp and golden and cheese has melted.
- Transfer quesadillas to baking sheet and keep warm in oven.
- Repeat with remaining 2 quesadillas.
- Cut quesadillas into wedges and serve.
- Healthy Pasta Sauce Recipe: Guilt-Free Turkey BologneseLooking for a quick and healthy dinner idea? Make this low-fat recipe full of lean protein instead of cracking open a jar of store-bought spaghetti sauce.
- An Unbelievably Easy Greek Salad RecipeSwitch up your starter course tonight by making this quick dish, which is loaded with antioxidants and healthy fats.