BlogsAn Easy Recipe with Ground Beef: Stuffed Peppers
Packed with lean protein and vitamin C, this healthy dinner idea is low-fat but full of flavor.
What to make with that lean ground beef you picked up at the grocery store this weekend? Try these Homemade Stuffed Peppers Estia from Westside Market’s Maria Zoitas (who previously brought you easy recipes for baked salmon, lean meatloaf, and chicken and rice).
Each serving of 95% lean ground beef gives you 24 grams of while the bell pepper is rich in Vitamin C—a potent disease-fighting antioxidant that also helps your body absorb the beef’s solid dose of iron.
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 2 cups cooked brown rice for filling
- 1 large zucchini, cubed
- 6 yellow or red bell peppers, with tops, seeds and membranes removed
- 2 8-oz. cans tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- Preheat oven to 350˚F.
- Place rice and 1 cup water in saucepan; cover and bring to a simmer. Cook for 15 minutes.
- In a skillet over medium heat, cook beef until it loses its color.
- Remove to a plate, then sauté zucchini until golden.
- Arrange peppers in a baking dish with hollow sides facing upward.
- In a bowl mix beef, cooked rice, zucchini, 1 can tomato sauce, Worcestershire, garlic, onion powder, salt and pepper.
- Stuff peppers, dividing mixture evenly among peppers.
- Mix remaining can tomato sauce and Italian seasoning in a bowl and pour over stuffed peppers. Place pepper tops on stuffed peppers.
- Bake for 1 hour, basting with sauce every 15 minutes, until peppers are tender.