Egg salad sandwiches aren’t usually bursting with creativity, but in his new book, Emeril’s Kicked-Up Sandwiches: Stacked with Flavor, chef Emeril Lagasse offers up a healthier version of the protein-rich filling that tastes a hell of a lot better, too.
Not just your standard mayo-and-dill job, the chef’s sandwich is loaded with shallot, green onion and celery, plus Lagasse swears the dry mustard and paprika give it a surprising wasabi-like accent—which sounds like the definition of “kicked-up” to us.
And want to know the best part? Make it tonight...and you’ve got lunch for days.
EGG SALAD SUPREME
- 12 hard-boiled eggs
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- ½ teaspoon hot Hungarian paprika
- ¼ cup minced shallot
- ¼ cup chopped green onion or fresh parsley leaves
- ¼ cup minced celery
- ½ cup mayonnaise, homemade or store-bought
- 12 slices bread
- Roughly chop eggs and place them in a mixing bowl. Add salt, mustard, paprika, shallot, green onion, celery, and mayonnaise. Stir with rubber spatula or spoon until very well blended. Transfer to container, cover, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours and up to 4 days.
- Spread ¼ to ½ cup of egg salad between 2 slices of bread. Repeat with remaining salad and bread.
Makes: 6 sandwiches, or about 3 cups of filling
- Post-Workout Snack Idea: Corfu Savory YogurtTake that protein-rich Greek yogurt up a notch. How? By adding savory super-food ingredients that pack fiber, folate, and healthy fats.
- Get This Healthy Smoothie Recipe From Celebrity Fitness Trainer, Harley PasternakThe man responsible for the curves on Kim Kardashian and Megan Fox whips up his favorite weight-loss smoothie.