Attention hungry guys: It’s time to stop thinking of rice as that white stuff from the Chinese take-out restaurant that hangs around in the back of your fridge till you fling it. Yes, brown rice might just be the ideal fill-you-up food. And if you’re tempted to pass because you think it’s just empty calories, think again—there are plenty of reasons to pile it onto your plate. Brown rice is a good go-to grain, and here’s why:
- It’s a great source of fiber and complex carbs to fuel the body with glucose.
- It may help protect against heart disease, type 2 diabetes, and cancer.
- “It’s also an excellent source of magnesium, which works with calcium to build bones and teeth and to help the muscles contract,” says Elisa Zied, R.D., a registered dietician in New York City
Sold? We thought so. Here are five ways to dish it up.
- 10 Reasons We Love J-LawCheck out why we love the 'Hunger Games' hottie.
- 8 Ways to Stay Healthy This WinterWhat does it really take to build your defenses against the common cold?
- The 5 Toughest Yoga Positions for GuysTackle them to achieve the ultimate in strength and balance.
- Sleep SolutionsFive fixes for your sleepless nights.