Sure, you might want to go easy on the garlic before a big date. That's a given. But despite it's wicked rep as a breath killer, you shouldn’t skimp on the vegetable (yes, it is a vegetable) otherwise, and here's why:
- It could cut your risk of developing gastrointestinal cancers, according to the National Cancer Institute.
- It has “tons of plant chemicals, like allicin and quercetin, that may be protective against heart disease and inflammation,” says Elisa Zied, R.D. a registered dietician in New York City.
- It’s a low-fat way to amp up flavor in almost any dish.
Convinced? Get cooking with these five recipes—just remember to stock up on mints.
- Editor Obsession: Shoes We LoveOur editors' picks for the best shoes for the coming season.
- Six Spirits That Will Save Your Holiday SeasonThey're key to any holiday gathering.
- 8 Holiday Cocktails Made with MoonshineMust-try recipes from America's most visited distillery.
- Form CheckThe easy reminders for five basic lifts.