Sure, gourds might scream fall, but don’t chuck all of them out for the winter season like a moldy jack-o-lantern. This fleshy fruit (yep, believe it or not—it’s got seeds) has health benefits that you need year-round:
- It’s low in fat and full of dietary fiber, which keeps you feeling full and may help reduce the risk of developing type 2 diabetes.
- The bright orange color signals that butternut squash is packed with carotenoids, nutrients that help prevent against heart disease, says Elisa Zied, R.D., a dietician in New York City
- A one-cup serving packs nearly half of your daily dose of vitamin C.
Sound good? These five easy recipes make working squash into your diet a cinch—let's get started.
- Signs You Look SickYour body might be telling you it's time to see a doctor.
- 10 Reasons We Love J-LawCheck out why we love the 'Hunger Games' hottie.
- 8 Ways to Stay Healthy This WinterWhat does it really take to build your defenses against the common cold?
- The 5 Toughest Yoga Positions for GuysTackle them to achieve the ultimate in strength and balance.