Sure, gourds might scream fall, but don’t chuck all of them out for the winter season like a moldy jack-o-lantern. This fleshy fruit (yep, believe it or not—it’s got seeds) has health benefits that you need year-round:
- It’s low in fat and full of dietary fiber, which keeps you feeling full and may help reduce the risk of developing type 2 diabetes.
- The bright orange color signals that butternut squash is packed with carotenoids, nutrients that help prevent against heart disease, says Elisa Zied, R.D., a dietician in New York City
- A one-cup serving packs nearly half of your daily dose of vitamin C.
Sound good? These five easy recipes make working squash into your diet a cinch—let's get started.
- Five Savory Nutrition BarsBars that taste like a meal, not a candy bar.
- 6 Strategic Accessories for Fine-Tuning Your LookDial in your style with these smart and sophisticated pieces.
- 11 Intimidating Foods and How to Prepare ThemDon’t let these dishes deter you. Learn to cook like a chef, from a chef.
- 20 Best Forearm ExercisesPump up your forearms with these 20 moves.