Get Gladiator Abs
What's the secret to a flat stomach? Dominate your diet and you'll reap the rewards—so give this healthy meal plan a try.
MF Editors Recommend
A fictional gladiator once said, “What we do in this life echoes
in eternity.” We say, “What you do in the kitchen echoes in your midsection.” It’s a simple truth: Do all the crunches you want, but if you’re not eating right, you’re not going to increase definition in your abs. Luckily, simplicity works both ways, and if you adhere to this meal plan—and keep up with your workout regimen (see the Spartacus Workout)—you’ll soon be confident entering any arena with your shirt off.
1. Black Bean and Mint Quiche
- 4 eggs
- 2/3 cup low-fat milk
- 2 tbsp oregano
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tomato, diced
- 4 tbsp black beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 spears asparagus, chopped
- 2 tbsp spearmint leaves
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Mix eggs, milk, oregano, salt, and pepper in a bowl.
- Oil an oven-safe skillet and distribute half of tomatoes, beans, asparagus, and spearmint. Pour in egg mixture, then top with remaining vegetables and mint leaves. 4. Cook in oven until lightly browned on top, about 30 minutes, then serve.
Fit Facts: 685 calories, 48g fat, 37g protein, 27g carbs, 7g fiber.
2. High-Protein Yogurt Bowl
- 1 scoop chocolate whey protein powder
- 1 cup low-fat, plain Greek yogurt
- 1⁄2 cup almonds
- 1⁄2 cup blueberries
- Stir protein powder into yogurt until totally combined.
- Mix in almonds and blueberries. Serve.
Fit Facts: 753 calories, 44g fat, 57g protein, 39g carbs, 10g fiber.
3. Egg and Vegetable Bowl
- 2 tsp canola oil
- 1⁄2 eggplant, sliced
- 4 tbsp black beans
- 2 tbsp red onions,diced
- 1 parsnip, grated
- 2 spears asparagus,chopped
- 1 tomato, diced
- 3 eggs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Throw in all vegetables and sauté, stirring frequently, until eggplant is golden brown. Remove from skillet.
- Add eggs to skillet and scramble with a spatula until cooked.
- Add cooked veg- etables, toss with eggs, season with salt and pepper, and serve.
Fit Facts: 558 calories, 25g fat, 29g protein, 60g carbs, 19g fiber. Bonus: Eggplant contains high levels of chlorogenic acid, a potent antiviral, antimutagenic antioxidant that fights free radicals and can lower LDL cholesterol and prevent healthy cells from mutating into cancer cells.