BlogsTonight’s Easy Dinner Idea: Healthy Chicken Kebabs
Yet another way to make chicken breast un-boring? Skewer the lean protein with some super food vegetables, cook it up, and call it a meal. Here, the easy recipe.
It’s the dead of winter. That’s a fact. But it doesn’t mean you can’t whip up a typically grill-ready recipe in the comfort of your own kitchen. (Trust us. The taste of summer will do you good.) And all you need is some chicken—and a broiler.
So here’s a recipe for Homemade Chicken Yakitori, which is basically code for kebabs done up Japanese-style. Brought to by Westside Market NYC’s Maria Zoitas, this skewered meat will stay juicy, even after broiling at a high heat—thanks to a delicious 30-minute marinade. (Pro tip: If you’re planning to use bamboo skewers, make sure you soak them in water simultaneously so you don’t burn the house down.)
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1 green pepper
- 1 red pepper
- 1 yellow pepper
- 1 Spanish onion
- ¼ cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp minced fresh ginger
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Slice chicken, peppers and onions into 1 x 1 inch cubes.
- In shallow pan, combine chicken cubes with peppers, onions, soy sauce, oil, ginger, sugar and garlic. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Weave marinated chicken, peppers, and onions onto skewers.
- Preheat broiler and place rack in shallow baking pan.
- Broil skewers about 4 to 5 minutes on each side, or until chicken is tender. Serve on bed of steamed rice.