We’d eat Buffalo wings every night of the week if it weren’t for two problems: One, they’re big fat bombs. Two, it’s hard to eat them and look like a civilized human being.
Cookbook author David Venable solves both problems with this recipe for Skewered Buffalo Chicken Tenders from his new book, In the Kitchen with David. Venable—who has picked up a few things over the years from cooking alongside celeb chefs as a host on QVC—gives these wings all the sports-bar flavor we know and love, but cuts calories by coating the chicken in egg whites, using reduced-fat butter in the sauce, and—most importantly—baking instead of frying.
Ingeniously, Venable also serves the chicken on skewers, so you can eat them in front of your girlfriend… while still maintaining your dignity.
For the chicken:
- Vegetable oil spray
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
- Pinch of garlic powder
- Pinch of paprika
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
- 2 large eggs, whites only (lightly beaten)
- 1 lb. chicken tenders or 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2--inch strips
- Metal or bamboo skewers (if using bamboo, soak in water for 15 minutes first so they don't go up in smoke!)
For the Buffalo sauce:
- 3/4 cup hot sauce
- 5 tbsp light butter or margarine
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1-2 cups bottled reduced-fat blue cheese dressing
- 3 celery stalks, cut into 3-inch pieces
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with vegetable oil spray.
2. To make chicken skewers, combine flour, bread crumbs, garlic powder, paprika, salt, and pepper in resealable plastic bag. Close bag and shake thoroughly. Place beaten egg whites in shallow bowl. Dip chicken tenders into egg, shaking off any extra. Put chicken tenders into flour mixture, close bag, and shake thoroughly to coat.
3. Thread chicken onto skewers. Arrange skewers in single layer on prepared baking sheet. Bake for 7 to 8 minutes, then turn skewers over and bake for 7 to 8 minutes more.
4. To make sauce while chicken is cooking, combine hot sauce, butter, and garlic in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir well.
5. Remove baking sheet from oven. Brush both sides of chicken with Buffalo sauce. Return chicken to oven and bake for 3 minutes more. Serve with blue cheese dressing and celery sticks.
Fit Factor: Use this recipe to satisfy your wing craving the healthy way. Leaner protein, thanks to the white meat chicken breast, and a lighter sauce—combined with baking, not frying—mean you’re slashing the fat big time.
- The Most Amazing Turkey-Chicken Chili Recipe This hearty, healthy, protein-packed dinner is also loaded with super foods, like avocado and beans.
- Healthy Dinner Idea: Ultimate Unfried ChickenPut this boneless chicken breast recipe from chef Art Smith on your winter to-do list. It feels like the ultimate comfort food—without the fat.