If you’re sick of always opting for healthy broths and depriving yourself of those decadent, creamy soups that seem to be everywhere this time of year, this recipe for Turkey Chowda with Corn, Bacon and Jalapeño goes out to you.
The genius behind its creation—chef Timothy Grandinetti of Spring House Restaurant, Kitchen & Bar in Winston-Salem, N.C.—uses turkey bacon to keep the fat down, and offers the trick of using half and half (about 12% butterfat content) instead of the old restaurant standby of heavy cream (a whopping 36% butterfat). The result: not a light meal by any means, but a creamy, rich soup that's actually a lot lower in fat than it could be. Score.
- 4 Yukon gold potatoes
- 10 pieces turkey bacon, sliced into matchstick-size pieces
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ bunch celery, small dice
- 1 onion, small dice
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 1 jalapeño, minced
- Slightly less than ½ cup flour 1 cup corn, oven-toasted
- ½ cup parsley, chopped fine
- ¼ cup thyme, chopped fine
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups smoked/cooked and pulled turkey
- 1 cup half and half
- Cook potatoes until tender; allow to cool. Dice and reserve.
- Render/cook turkey bacon; remove from pot. Reserve.
- To the remaining turkey bacon fat, add the olive oil. Add celery, onion, garlic and jalapeño and cook/sweat for 5 to 7 minutes. Add flour to create a roux. Add corn, parsley, thyme, salt and pepper and chicken stock. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer.
- Add cooked and pulled turkey. Then add cream. Finally, add reserved potatoes.
- Simmer for an additional 8 to 10 minutes.
Optional garnish: Sriracha Snake Oil (2 tbsp. Sriracha + 1 cup low-fat mayo)
Serves: 4 to 6
- An Easy Recipe with Ground Beef: Stuffed PeppersPacked with lean protein and vitamin C, this healthy dinner idea is low-fat but full of flavor.
- Healthy Pasta Sauce Recipe: Guilt-Free Turkey BologneseLooking for a quick and healthy dinner idea? Make this low-fat recipe full of lean protein instead of cracking open a jar of store-bought spaghetti sauce.