Spring is here, and although you might be all too ready to drag out the grill and free yourself from a regular rotation of wintery recipes, don’t put away your slow cooker just yet. First, try this Paleo-friendly chicken recipe from The Paleo Slow Cooker: Healthy, Gluten-Free Meals the Easy Way by Arsy Vartanian.
You’ll notice that to make the meal below you’ll need an ingredient called ghee. If you’ve tackled Paleo recipes in the past, you’re probably familiar with the ingredient. It’s essentially a clarified butter, meaning the water and milk solids have been removed, leaving behind a cooking fat that is lactose and casein-free—and safe for anybody who can’t do dairy. You can buy ghee online, or make the stuff on your own.
Good on ghee? Ok, time to get to work.
CHICKEN BREASTS STUFFED WITH SUN-DRIED TOMATOES
- ½ onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 1 8-ounce jar sun-dried tomatoes
- 3 lbs skinless chicken breast
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp basil
- Salt and pepper to taste just before serving
- In a heavy-bottomed pan over medium heat, sauté the onions and garlic over medium heat until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut a bag pocket in each chicken breast.
- Spoon the onion and garlic into each pocket and follow with two to three dried tomatoes. Carefully transfer stuffed breast into the slow cooker.
- Add the broth and sprinkle the herbs over the chicken and broth.
- Cook on low for 4 to 6 hours.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste, then serve.
Get nutrition advice and recipes delivered right to your inbox by signing up for a monthly MF newsletter.