The FridgePaleo Recipe: Pear-Ginger Pork Chops
One of the perks of preparing a slow-cooker meal: For next to no effort, your kitchen smells like you’ve been slaving away all day. Simmered with cinnamon, allspice, ginger, and pears, these sweet and savory pork chops are a prime example.
MF Editors Recommend
Pork gets a bad rap for being slightly higher in fat than chicken or fish, but “the other white meat” can be part of healthy meal that's full of vitamins and minerals such as selenium, thiamin, zinc, and B vitamins—just make sure you shop smart. A good example: When gathering ingredients for the pork chops recipe below, opt for lean chops and trim whatever fat is left before eating.
Speaking of fat, you’ll notice that the recipe calls for coconut oil, a plant-based cooking fat. Why the obscure ingredient? Following the Paleo diet means avoiding highly processed, man-made, inflammation-causing fats, like margarine, vegetable oil, canola oil, and soybean oil, among others, and opting for healthier (read: naturally occurring) fats such as avocado, olive oil, coconut oil, and ghee.
PEAR GINGER PORK CHOPS
- 4 thick cut pork chops
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp allspice
- 2 ripe d'anjou pears, cored and cut into chunks
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup white wine (can substitute water or broth)
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp ginger, minced
- Salt and pepper just before serving
- Melt 1 tbsp of the coconut oil in a heavy-bottomed pan over medium heat.
- Brown the pork chops on both sides (in batches if necessary) for about 5 minutes total and place in the slow cooker.
- Saute the pears and ginger in the remaining coconut oil.
- Add the vinegar and wine, turn to medium-low and cook for 5 minutes to reduce slightly.
- Pour mixture over chops in slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 6 hours.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, then serve.
This recipe can be found in The Paleo Slow Cooker: Healthy, Gluten-Free Meals the Easy Way by Arsy Vartanian. In case you missed our other Paleo-friendly slow-cooker recipes, check out: