Should You Go Vegan Before 6?
Food writer Mark Bittman, author of a new book on plant-based eating, tells you why he doesn’t think you need all that animal protein—and gives a day’s worth of his VB6 recipes.
BREAKFAST: Scrambled Tofu with Spinach
Makes: 4 servings
Time: 20 minutes
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp chopped garlic, or more to taste
- 1 tsp salt, plus more to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp red chile flakes, or 1 or 2 fresh hot red chiles (like serrano or Thai), minced
- 1½ lbs fresh spinach, trimmed and rinsed well
- 1½ lbs firm or silken tofu, drained and patted dry
- Put the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. When it’s hot, add the onion and garlic and sprinkle with salt; cook until the onion is translucent and the garlic is soft, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the chiles and cook, stirring, until fragrant, less than a minute. Raise the heat to medium-high and add the spinach and ¼ cup water. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until the spinach is wilted and fairly dry, 5 to 8 minutes.
- Crumble the tofu into the pan and stir, using a spatula to scrape the bottom of the pan and combine the tofu and vegetables; adjust the heat as necessary to avoid burning. When the mixture starts to stick to the pan, it’s ready: Taste and adjust the seasoning, and serve hot or warm.
Variation: Scrambled Tofu with Tomatoes — Use 2 pounds chopped tomatoes instead of the spinach. In Step 2, be sure to cook the tomatoes until they’re dry before adding the tofu. Then continue with the recipe.
Nutritional Info (with firm tofu): 224 calories; 0mg cholesterol; 13g fat; 1g saturated fat; 14g protein; 177g carbs; 727mg sodium; 5g fiber; 0g trans fat; 5g sugars.
Reprinted from the book VB6: Eat Vegan Before 6:00 to Lose Weight and Restore Your Health…for Good copyright © 2013 by Mark Bittman. Published by Clarkson Potter, a division of Random House, Inc. Photo is a stock image not associated with the book and does not represent the recipe's exact finished product.
NEXT: Baked Falafel Recipe>>