Should You Go Vegan Before 6?
Food writer Mark Bittman, author of a new book on plant-based eating, tells you why he doesn’t think you need all that animal protein—and gives a day’s worth of his VB6 recipes.
DINNER: Steak and Broccoli Stir-fry
Makes: 4 servings
Time: 30 minutes
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 12 oz beef flank or sirloin steak, very thinly sliced (easiest if you freeze the meat for 30 minutes)
- 1 tsp salt, plus more to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp minced ginger
- 1 tbsp minced fresh hot chile (like jalapeño or Thai; optional)
- 1½ lbs broccoli, trimmed and cut into bite-size pieces
- ½ cup chopped scallions
- 2 tbsp soy sauce, plus more to taste
- Juice of 1 lime or ½ lemon (optional)
- ¼ cup chopped peanuts or cashews
- 3 cups cooked long- or short-grain brown rice
- Put a large, deep skillet over high heat. When it’s hot, add 1 tablespoon of the oil, swirl it around, and add the beef. Sprinkle with ½ teaspoon of the salt and some pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the beef starts to brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer the meat to a plate.
- Add the remaining 3 tablespoons oil, then the garlic, ginger, and chile, if you’re using it. After 15 seconds, add the broccoli and all but a handful of the scallions. Cook, stirring infrequently, until the broccoli is bright green and beginning to brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the remaining ½ teaspoon salt and ½ cup of water. Cook, stirring occasionally, until almost all the liquid has evaporated and the broccoli is almost tender, another minute or two more.
- Return the meat to the pan along with the soy sauce and lime juice, if you’re using it, and a little more water if the mixture is dry. Raise the heat to high and cook, stirring occasionally, until the liquid is reduced slightly. Stir in the peanuts, then taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary; garnish with the remaining scallions, and serve over the rice.
Nutritional Info (with ¾ cup brown rice): 572 calories; 55mg cholesterol; 28g fat; 5g saturated fat; 31g protein; 54g carbs; 1510mg sodium; 10g fiber; 0g trans fat; 6g sugars.
Reprinted from the book VB6: Eat Vegan Before 6:00 to Lose Weight and Restore Your Health…for Good copyright © 2013 by Mark Bittman. Published by Clarkson Potter, a division of Random House, Inc. Photo is a stock image not associated with the book and does not represent the recipe's exact finished product.