The FridgeSodium-Slashing Food Swaps
Scaling back on salt can save your life, but don’t just set down the shaker. Pay attention to processed foods, and give these recipes a shot.
CRAB AND CORN CHOWDER
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 3 red potatoes, chopped
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped
- 2 small red peppers, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 quart fat-free milk
- 3 cups frozen corn kernels
- 8 oz crab meat
- Heat oil and butter and add potatoes, celery and peppers. Add bay leaf.
- Saute veggies for about five minutes and then sprinkle in the flour.
- Cook for a few minutes, stirring continuously, and then add in the broth and stir to combine.
- Add in the milk, stir to combine, and then bring to a boil. Once the mixture boils, boil one minute more. (Stir occasionally throughout the process).
- Add in corn and crab, and simmer for five minutes. For a thicker soup, let the soup continue to simmer until it has reduced by about a quarter.
Makes: 12 1-cup servings
Nutrition: 170 calories, 2.5 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 0 g trans fat, 15 mg cholesterol, 290 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrates, 3 g fiber, 7 g sugar, 10 g protein
HOMEMADE TURKEY AVOCADO TOMATO SANDWICH
- 2 slices thin bread
- 3 oz oven-roasted turkey breast
- ¼ avacoado, sliced
- 3 (or more) slices of tomato
- Top bread with sliced turkey, avocado and tomato.
Nutrition: 280 calories, 9 g fat, 1.5 g saturated fat, 0 g trans fat, 70 mg cholesterol, 200 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrates, 6 g fiber, 4 g sugar, 30 g protein