While our standard weekday breakfast usually consists of a protein-rich egg white omelet or Greek yogurt with fruit, we had to alter our morning meal plans the second we got a sample of this ridiculously addictive granola.
Created by Chef David Hatfield of the Library Bistro at the Alexis Hotel in Seattle, this mash-up of chopped nuts, shredded coconut, rolled oats, honey and sweet spices is made even better by the addition of "spent grains," a byproduct of—and this was a shocker—beer brewing. While you wouldn't think malt grain discards as a feasible addition to any recipe, much less the headlining ingredient, the resulting mix is absolutely impossible to stop eating.
But you're going to work out hard today, right? You need some serious energy. So go ahead and make a batch....just be sure to split it up into bags and give some away because otherwise, "serves 12" is going to rapidly turn into "serves 1."
Spent Grain Granola
- 1 cup hazelnuts, shelled, chopped
- 1 cup almonds, chopped
- 1 cups walnuts, chopped
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 8 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup spent brewery grains, dried
- 2 cups honey
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon allspice
In a heavy bottomed pot combine honey, brown sugar, spices and vanilla together. Bring to a simmer and stir until sugar is dissolved. In a separate bowl combine the spent grains, oats and nuts. Add honey mixture and mix well. Spread out on sheet pan in thin layer. Cook at 250 degrees in a convection oven, stirring often, until dry and golden in color. Store at room temperature until ready to use.
- Should You Eat Protein Every 3 Hours?If you want to gain muscle, listen up. A new study found that muscle growth might depend not only on how much protein you eat—but when you eat it.
- Are You Getting Too Much Caffeine From Energy Drinks?Yes, caffeine can boost endurance exercise performance. But energy drink labels may not be giving you the information you need to drink safely.