BlogsThe Most Amazing Turkey-Chicken Chili Recipe
This hearty, healthy, protein-packed dinner is also loaded with super foods, like avocado and beans.
MF Editors Recommend
While working a restaurant like Delicatessen, in New York City’s SoHo neighborhood, would be murder on most people’s diets— the upscale comfort food joint has an entire mac and cheese bar connected to it—chef Michael Ferraro somehow manages to stay fit.
He sneaks in an hour-and-15-minute workout between lunch and dinner service four times a week, incorporating boxing, power plate, kettle bells and plyometrics, and also knows how to cook up a hearty—but healthy—dinner, this tasty Slow-Cooked Chili.
Don’t let the long list of ingredients here freak you out, because once you do some easy prep, this dish—packed with power foods like avocados and beans—will simmer slowly on its own while you catch some Monday Night Football on the couch. Pair it with the perfect fall beer…and you’ve got your evening planned out for you.
- 1 lb. chicken breast, diced
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 3 oz. chipotle adobe
- 1 large onion
- 2 roasted garlic cloves
- 2 minced fresh garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp. onion powder
- 1 tbsp. garlic powder
- 1 tbsp. chipotle powder
- 1 tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tbsp. paprika
- 1 cup cooked pinto beans
- 1 cup cooked kidney beans
- 3 cups canned Italian plum tomatoes
- 1 cup white chicken stock
- 1 tbsp. Sriracha hot sauce
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- 2 sprigs cilantro (just leaves)
- 1 tbsp. non-fat sour cream
- 1 tbsp. low-fat shredded aged cheddar (optional)
- Kosher salt
1. Season the chicken breast and ground turkey with kosher salt and pepper.
2. Heat olive oil in a large pot over high heat, and then add chicken and turkey.
3. Cook for 10 minutes, until brown.
4. Drain off the excess oil and add dried seasonings.
5. Remove the protein and set aside.
6. Cook the onions and garlic until tender, about 5 minutes.
7. Add the puréed chipotle adobe and roasted garlic.
8. Return the meats to the pot and the remaining ingredients.
9. Cook over a slow simmer for 2 hours.
10. Taste and add final seasoning of salt and pepper.
11. Finish with sliced avocado, non-fat sour cream, sliced scallion, cilantro leaves, and low-fat shredded aged cheddar (optional).
Fit Factor: Thanks to the chicken breast, ground turkey, and beans, this chili is a lean protein powerhouse. And with a little olive oil and avocado thrown in, you’re getting some heart-healthy fats too.